Friday, April 26, 2013

*The* BEST Granola!



I just have to share an inexpensive granola recipe that I think is the BEST! The original recipe came from the HillbillyHouse Wife (almost to the bottom of the page, Raw brown Sugar Granola), years ago. I have tweaked it for my family, doubled it and have made it using 3 different “fats”: margarine, butter or  organic coconut oil. Coconut oil is my favorite followed extremely closely by butter. I know margarine is not at all healthy but there are times it is the only thing I can afford and I realize others are in the same situation.
I will post the recipe 2 ways, one with butter or margarine and the other with coconut oil.

The Best Granola 1:
  • 1 cup butter or margarine (2 sticks), coconut oil
  • 1-1/2 cup brown sugar (NOT packed, just lightly spoon into measuring cup)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1-2 Tablespoons cinnamon
  • 9-10 cups rolled oats
In a large 5 quart saucepan melt the butter or margarine, sugar, water and salt together over medium heat. Stir it well until all the sugar is melted (2 or 3 minutes should be enough).. Remove the pot from the stove and stir in the cinnamon until well mixed then add your oats and stir. You want to coat the oats with the brown sugar and margarine, so keep stirring until everything is moistened. Divide the granola onto 2 cookie sheets, the kind with sides. Bake it at 350° for 10 -15 minutes. Check after 10 minutes, the sides should be a nice golden brown. If it isn’t put in for another 2-5 minutes, watch carefully. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the granola to cool right there in the pan. In the winter, I leave it in the oven with the oven door cracked open. This warms the house and cools the granola. When the granola is cool, break it up into small pieces and transfer it to clean coffee can, or other type of canister. I use a Rubbermaid container that is made to store bread.  This makes 20- 1/2c servings.

The Best Granola 2:
  • 1 cup organic unrefined coconut oil
  • 1 cup PACKED brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2+ Tablespoons cinnamon
  • 9-10 cups rolled oats
Follow the same directions as above; cooking time may be a little longer. For both recipes, the granola will be soft when warm; it hardens when cooled.

The granola I make uses a lot more cinnamon than the original recipe called for and less brown sugar. I have used both quick oats and old fashioned with great success. They each have a different taste and texture. Since I also make my own yogurt and strain it, I have quite a bit of whey in the refrigerator and freezer. In place of the 1/2c water I have substituted 1/2c  whey and no one has noticed. You can always add 1 cup nuts and or 1 cup raisins to the cooled granola, but I’ve never found a need to do so.

This granola is cheaper than store bought and my kids prefer it. Most the ingredients I get at Aldi’s: Oats (42 oz) $2.19, brown sugar (2#) $1.29, and cinnamon (4.25 oz) $1.00. I buy Kroger’s Value margarine (1#) $.65 and I buy my butter at whatever store has it on sale for around $2.00 a pound. The cheapest place I have found for Coconut Oil is Amazon. I don’t have a Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods or something similar to compare their prices. My favorite brand of Coconut Oil is Nutiva and I usually pay $.50 an oz. 
Approximate cost for 20 (2 oz) servings: $2.20 or $.11 serv. (margarine),  $3.00 or $.15 serv. (Butter),  $6.00 or $.30 serv. (coconut oil). Even with the expensive coconut oil the granola is cheaper than most granola cereals, unless you buy on sale with coupons. Plus you control the ingredients.
If you try this, let me know how you like it and any changes you make.

No comments:

Post a Comment